History / Archives

Overview

btn_history_to_1960Here you will find a “thumbnail” history of our Church, but a much more comprehensive volume is available by clicking on the link to the right. Also, please share with us any information you may have that could help us fill the gaps or simply add interest to these volumes.

History of our Church

Sept 27, 1827
– First Presbyterian Church of Big Flats organized. 1827 – Rev.Rouse. 20 Members of Bath Presbytery. Services & Sunday School in Robt. Miller’s barn.

1829 – Church building was erected with horse and buggy stalls adjoining. Cost: $1,178.00.

1830 – Money raising- pews (slips) numbered. Center pews:$75.00 – Side Pews $85.00. Members chose pews and were responsible for raising dollars.

1836 – Affiliated with newly formed Chemung Presbytery. 1836 – Rev. David L. Perry.

Dec. 18, 1854 – Original Manse purchased. $1,075 for house and lot – 1850 – Rev. J.N. Hurd.

1860 – Pulpit moved from South to North end of sanctuary. 1860-1864 Rev. F. Harrington. Pews were turned around to face pulpit.

1870 – First attempt at ecumenical mid-week services with Methodists.
Baptist church members declined. 1867-1877 Rev. William Atwood.

1879 – Women’s Missionary Society organized. 30 to 40 members. 1878-1890 Rev. Stanley D. Jewell.

1880 – Period of great growth – Rev. S.D. Jewell: Sunday School: 95 average attendence, Morning Church service: 160, Evening Church service: 70. Prayer meeting during the week: 25. Organization of the church – Young People’s Society – Women’s Missionary Society. Girl’s Organization – “Willing Workers” group.

1886 – Church Choir participated in Music Festival in Elmira. 1890-1897 Rev. Henry J. Scholl.
—–

1900 – Church building – some remodeling & repairs, 2 balcony classrooms setup.
1898-1900 Rev. Thomas Kerr.

1906 – First woman elected as a Trustee. 1903-1910 Rev. H.B. Williams.

1912 – Fund drive for new manse – $4,353.00 raised. 1910-1913 Rev. H.J. Vail, Home is still at 403 Main Street.

1930 – Renovation of existing Church building: $2,400.00 1929-1930 Rev. S.D. Angell.

1940 – First woman pastor to function in Presbyterian Church. 1940-1943 Mrs. L.H. Chapman. Conscientious Objectors in Big Flats Camp were welcomed at services in the church. $1,600.00 was raised for the Restoration Fund as requested by the Presbytery. Good Will Class (young adults) raised money to insulate northwest sides of church bldg. and painted.

1948 – Plans revived and approved to build an addition consisting of classrooms, church parlors, etc. Good Will Class to raise money and draw up specific plans for project. 1945-1949 Rev. H.E. Mallick.

1950 – New addition built – cost $17,284.00. Completely paid off in 3 yrs. Consisted of large auditorium for meetings, suppers, Sunday School classrooms, stage, sizeable – equipped kitchen and restrooms. Named: “Presbyterian House”. Manse remodeling & repairs were made. Sanctuary – steeples & roof repaired, interior refurbished.
Parking lot black-topped. 1950-1960 Rev B. Klauser.

1954 – Purchase of Baldwin Electronic Organ (Model 46). Cost – $3,000.00.

1956 – Rotary system adopted for elders.

1957 – First woman elder elected.

1958 – Degan chimes and 2 additional tone cabinets added to the organ. “United Presbyterian Women” formed – formerly the Women’s Missionary Society & Ladies Benevolent Society.
—–

1964 – Gift of Austin Pipe Organ – 12 ranks – from the Endicott Presbyterian Church.
1964-1985 Rev. M. Punnet.

1965 – Unicamerol System adopted. Elders & Trustees to make-up the sessions – Manse garage erected.

1966 – Double Sunday Services commenced on trial basis.

1967 – Ecumenical growth: Presbyterian, Methodists, Episcopalians & Roman Catholic – 50 million Fund Drive. Big Flats Presbyterian church pledged $9,150.00.

1968 – 6 new Sunday School rooms added in Church House by using removable partition walls.

1972 – 100 yrs. flood (June) 8 feet of water in Sanctuary & church house. Great damage. Worship service held in church 1972&3.

1973 – October 4, 1973 Rededication of Church Building.

1974 – By Dec. 31, 1974 $93,600.00 was spent on flood reconstruction.
Establishment of Church Scholarship Assistance fund: $1,000.00. Maximum interest free loan to needy students, administered by Board of Deacons.

1976 – 150th Anniversary of congregation. 1978 – Boy Scout Troop #87 sponsored by the church (17 members).

1979 – Major Mission Pledge $17,890.00 (3yr.period) Total collected was $15,856.84.

1980 – Church undertakes to sponsor a political Refugee from Rumania.

1982 – “Raise the Roof” drive: Cost $13,750.00 Pledged $13,289.00.

1983 – Establishment of Big Flats Community Food Pantry.

1986 – Decision to purchase Allen ADC 6000 organ. Cost $31,000.00 plus $15,000.00 installation fee.

1987 – 160th Anniversary of church. 1987-1990 Rev. Linda J. Slamon.

1988 – Sanctuary remodeled with installation of new organ.

1989 Kitchen in Church House remodeled.